7mc

Information covering, Snowboarding/skateboarding/MTB/music/art/news/propaganda All that good stuff!!!

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mounting a Camera to your bike!



I got this idea after seeing the bottle cap tripod . I have a small digital camera that also takes video. I figured if I mounted it on my bike I could record some of my trips. So I thought I'd share how I did it for less than $5. 1/4-20 x 3/4 inch stainless steel pan head machine screwHose clamp long enough to wrap around my bars and wide enough to drill a 1/4" hole intoA few 1/4" WashersOne 1/4" lock washerAbout 1 foot length of bike tubeA digital camera that has a tripod mountDrill a 1/4" hole in the hose clamp. Put screw into hole in hose clamp. Wrap the bike tube around your handlebars. Attach hose clamp around bike tube with screw facing up. Screw camera on for test fit. Remove camera and experiment with number of washers needed to fill empty space. Last washer should be a lock washer. I ended up using a piece of folded over duct tape with a hole poked through it instead of a lock washer. Experiment with whatever you have until the camera feels solid tightened down and pointing forward.The video is not the best quality, but I think it's good enough. If you did something similar and mounted it to your helmet, it would probably be a bit more steady, but way more dorky.

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Jake Ludington said...

That's so cool and incredibly simple! I'm totally linking to this in my newsletter. Glad the Bottle Cap Tripod could be an inspiration.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Chuck said...

Shame on you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home